Earlier this month (Nov) there was a local art contest, and I was planning to enter a few sculptures in. Problem was... I only had a couple worth putting in, but I wanted to put in the max 3 they were allowing.
Sooo.... since I already had the parts made up for this bird, since I'd planned on making it for Sedona and just ran out of time, I went ahead and finished it.
Unlike my original vulture - angi-kat.deviantart.com/art/Sc…
- I didn't have any more pipe to work with, nor did I have those farm-machine claws to use on the feet, so I had to come up with something else. I like working with rebar and round bar a lot, and they make for some really attractive, interesting appearance when used appropriately in sculptures. The fact that the vultures body is made out of scrap metal, and thus, itself, not a solid form, ensures that the spaciousness of the neck area looks and feel natural with the rest of the body.
The rebar for the feet, and the heavy claws, also gives a much more organic, natural feel to the design.
One thing that was noted about my previous vulture, was the size of the wings. The wings were a bit small... but then, the sculpture was designed so that the customer who requested it could slide a rock under the tail and onto the base plate. So the wings had to be small enough that they wouldn't get in the way of that, and so they'd be easier for transporting. On this bird, I wanted to correct that issue. So the wings are much bigger, they're also built in 3 different sections to give it a more natural layered appearance.
And since they were the only marbles I had in a matching set... vulture got big green eyes!
Roughly 3ft tall x 2.5ft wide x 2.5ft deep
Took about 2 days to complete